Use your best judgment to determine if internet sources are reliable or even allowed at all in your assignments. Ask a librarian for help if you need assistance evaluating web resources- or for that matter any type of resource!
Use these criteria to evaluate a website: Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, Purpose
Pay particular attention to Authority!
Authority: the source of the information
- Who is the author/publisher/source/sponsor?
- Are the author's credentials or organizational affiliations given?
- What are the author's credentials or organizational affiliations?
- What are the author's qualifications to write on the topic?
- Is there contact information, such as a publisher or e-mail address?
- Does the URL reveal anything about the author or source?
- examples: .com (commercial), .edu (educational), .gov (U.S. government), .org (nonprofit organization), or .net (network)