Students are responsible for protecting their computers from worms, viruses, spyware and other harmful programs, generally called malware. We make it simple by providing anti-virus and anti-spyware software free of charge to all students. Of course, if your computer came with an anti-virus program or subscription, you are welcome to continue using it. You should only have one anti-virus program installed at a time.
You can use Sophos Anti-Virus as long as you are enrolled as a student. You do not need to run any additional spyware detector or malware remover (e.g., SpyBot, AdAware) while Sophos is protecting your machine. And yes, Mac and Linux users are still vulnerable to viruses and malware without additional protection like Sophos Anti-Virus!
Please contact the InfoDesk (email@example.com) if you suspect that you are infected with a virus and are unable to remove it yourself.
Choose your operating system to get installation instructions and a link to download Sophos Anti-Virus:
Click to download Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 WARNING!
This package is licensed for current students, faculty, and staff of Southwestern University. Redistribution or other unauthorized use is prohibited. Package contents are maintained by Information Technology. System Requirements:
Windows XP Home, Media Center Edition, Professional | Service Pack 1a+ | x86, x86_64
Hardware: Refer to Windows hardware requirements | Intel Core micro architecture recommended
Windows Vista (all versions) | x86, x86_64
Windows 7 (all versions)
Disk space: 120 MB free
Memory: 256 MB
- Vista and Windows 7 Users (Important!): Do not open and run the package from your web browser. Right-click the file and choose Save As to save the file somewhere on your computer (e.g., the desktop). Right-click on the file and select Run as administrator. Choose Allow when prompted. The installation will not complete correctly if you do not give the installer administrative privileges.
- Uninstall Old Anti-Virus First: You should manually uninstall any anti-virus software currently on your machine before you begin the installation of Sophos Anti-Virus. SAV will attempt to remove currently installed anti-virus programs, but it does not always succeed. For instance, SpyBot will cause the installation to fail.
- Destination Folder: Do not change the default file extraction path.
- Install: Click ""Install"" to launch the setup program. It may appear to be idle, but the installer is doing things in the background. Please be patient.
- Completion: If Sophos is installed correctly, a solid blue shield will appear in the task bar notification area, near the clock. A red circle with a white X on the shield indicates a potential problem.
- If You Need Help: Call x7333 (512.819.7333) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to download Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X 10.4/10.5/10.6 and 10.7 (Universal) WARNING!
This package is licensed for current students, faculty, and staff of Southwestern University. Redistribution or other unauthorized use is prohibited. Package contents are maintained by Information Technology.
Not sure if Sophos Anti-Virus will work on your Mac? These are the technical requirements:
- Mac with Intel or PowerPC processor
- 256 MB of memory
- 150 MB of available disk space
- Mac with OS X 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion)
- Supports all Apple Mac hardware including iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro and the new MacBook Air
- Uninstall Old Anti-Virus First: You should manually uninstall any anti-virus software currently on your machine before you begin the installation of Sophos Anti-Virus. You may need to use a removal script, which may be located in /Library, open Sophos Anti-Virus folder, double click on "Remove Sophos Anti-virus.pkg" to remove old version of Sophos. <old_av_program>
- Download the Installer: Save this file (savosx73he.dmg) to your desktop. If you are using Firefox or another browser besides Safari, you may need to right-click (or control-click for single-button mice) on the link and choose Save Link As... Otherwise your browser may try to open the file as text.
- Install: After downloading the disk image, double-click to mount it, then double-click Install Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X.
- Completion: If Sophos is installed correctly, a solid black shield will appear in the task bar at the top of the screen, near the clock. A red circle with a white X on the shield indicates a potential problem.
- If You Need Help: Call x7333 (512.819.7333) or e-mail email@example.com.